Sunday 21 February 2010

How do you like the new look? {Look what I managed to make- and it isn't a card!}

My blog has looked the same for nearly a year and I thought it was about time for a change. To be honest I was afraid to mess with it, based on the 'If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it!' principle.
Anyway, I took the bull between the horns earlier this week and tried a new background and added a header for the first time. After a few panics with the header I had it all on and looking right! I lived with it for a few days and then decided it wasn't quite what I was after!
So I looked again and found another design, made from a Summertime Designs kit that I love. (I have got really into downloading Digi Scrapping kits lately, but all I do with them is resize and print the papers for my cards. I have ambitions to try digi scrapping but I don't really know where to start.) With more confidence this time I put it on my blog and I like it.
Don't know what happened to me last night, but I started looking around the internet and admiring the really co-ordinated blogs with signatures and post dividers etc. and found a few tutorials. I had a go at making a post divider using Photoshop but could not figure out a few things. After a few questions to my very computer literate husband, who seemed amused that I was trying to have a conversation about transparent backgrounds and PNG files, I had another go this morning. I managed to create the post divider and saved it!
That was only half the battle! Now I had to get it onto my blog after each post! According to the tutorial I had to alter the HTML code of my blog to do this which was really scary, especially for someone who had been afraid to change the background only a week ago! So I backed up the template, as instructed, and began- I don't think I breathed again until I previewed it and there it was! I was so excited when I went through to tell my husband and all he could say was "See, it wasn't hard was it!"
I know this might not be rocket science for some of you out there but this was huge for me, so I just thought I would tell you about it!

1 comments:

Annette Bowes said...

Hi Alison, gorgeous new look, very fresh looking, very daunting task, like you I was afraid to mess to but just had to have 3 columns instead of 2, not got mine perfected yet, but you have done a fantastic job! Love the card you made for hubby lol, did make me giggle. Hope you are not too cold in gorgeous Yorkshire, sending warm cyber hugs from Oz, take careX:)